Explorations in Jamaican Music

 Satisfy My Soul-Bob Marley & the Wailers, 1978

Running Away-Bob Marley & the Wailers, 1978

    Jamaican music is one of the most influential in the world. Jamaica has 4 main different types of genres of music. Which are Ska, Calypso, Mento, and Reggae, but they also have genres that stem from their 4 main genres. An interesting fact about DJs and toasting, which is one of the genres that stems from reggae, is what created rapping in American culture. As you can see already Jamaican music has influenced American culture. America is not the only place that has been inspired by Jamaican music. Africa was inspired by reggae music in the 80s. Although the song "Africa Must Be Free by 1983" by Hugh Mundell was not written by an African artist. It still inspired many Africans to fight for freedom in their countries from slavery that was still happening at the time and even till this day. Jamaican music reaches people in all different ways. But mainly Jamaican music is supposed to make you feel happy and upbeat. Which I believe the music achieves with its rhythmic beats and generally happy lyrics.

    The two songs I chose to share with you guys are from the most famous Jamaican artists Bob Marley and the Wailers. These two reggae artists are one of the most influential artists in the world. I don't have to speak for Bob Marley and the Wailers. I will let their music do the talking since they have countless hits. Satisfy My Soul and Running Away are off the same album. Which has the title of Kaya and is one the greatest album released to this date. It was released in 1978 as their 10th studio album which got criticized for being too soft. Since a lot of the songs deal with talking about love and weed. To me, it has some of the most beautiful acoustics in reggae music. 

    I chose Satisfy My Soul because of the lyrics mainly. Plus it is one of the only songs I have learned on the guitar. So this song will always hold a close place in my heart. The song's beat lags behind in the song perpetually then catching back up with the lyrics. Bob Marley pushes the song with his vocals singing in almost like mezzo type of vocals. Which goes perfectly with how the beats adapt with his voice through the entirety of the song. Running Away I chose because of the powerful message it gives to people. The song goes on about how you cannot run away from yourself. No matter what you do you will always be there. So stop trying to fight yourself instead come to peace with yourself. That is one of the only ways you can achieve true happiness in your life. Which I found to be a very powerful message behind the song.


Hartley, Vanessa. "'Jamaica, Jamaica!: How Jamaican Music Conquered the World.'" PinkPeachhh, 25 Apr. 2020, pinkpeachhh.home.blog/2020/04/25/jamaica-jamaica-a-historical-musical-exploration/.

Wikipedia. 12 May 2008, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Jamaica.

Comments

  1. Hi Coleman!
    I thought this was a great choice for this blog for 2 reasons. Learning about Jamaican music as well as an eye opener for the tough lives they have to live every single say. We are beyond fortunate to live such great a healthy live here in America.

    I enjoyed what what you took away from the song "Satisfy My Soul". Stop trying to fight yourself rather than come to peace. You can also think of that in a way of the fight behind depression because of how scary it is nowadays. My psychology professor said that this is one way to fix how our minds work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cole!
    I really like your blog post. I think you made some great insights into the messages delivered in Satisfy My Soul, and I couldn't agree more. It was in the 1970's when reggae inspired some of America's first DJ's and rappers just in case. I actually came across this information in one of my earlier research's for blogging, when I explored the rap culture. Thanks for the great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Coleman,

    I didn’t realize how much I enjoyed reggae music until I went to a reggae concert years ago at the Blue Loon – H3 Kings. It was freaking amazing. I didn’t know that Jamaican music inspired African music, I thought it would have been the other way around; that is interesting. I did a previous assignments on music out of Trinidad and Tobago, and like Reggae, it is so upbeat and makes you feel good.

    I was watching the news the other day and they aired an interviews with Bob Marley’s granddaughter, Mystic Marley. She is an up and coming artist and I was extremely impressed with her voice – Very edgy, soothing and strong. I started playing her main song on Spotify right away, “ Sad Girls.” I also learned in that segment that he was 36 when he died, I had no idea he was that young. Gone way too soon.

    Here is the interview with Mystic: https://news.yahoo.com/bob-marley-granddaughter-mystic-marley-143013609.html

    Nice work! Best of luck on future classes!
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My First Post

The Innovations of Queen