Music and the Fictive Dream

 

"Come What May" - Ewan McGregor, Nicole Kidman, 2001

    Moulin Rouge! is quite an interesting musical film in my opinion. I am not very fond of the movie but have a lot of memories of it. Since my mother would play this movie non-stop through my childhood. She thought I would love this movie since I was obsessed with star wars. So, she thought somehow that correlated I would love this movie since Ewan McGregor was the star of the movie. Never really understood her reasoning for that. But I actually really liked the music throughout the movie. The movie has a very unique aesthetic. That I have never really seen done by anyone else. 

    The entire movie is based during the bohemian revolution in France. Where writers lived an unconventional lifestyle to create a story.  The main character, Christain, in the movie is living that type of lifestyle. Where he eventually falls in love with a dancer, Satin, at the Moulin Rouge. He sings a song called "Come What May" to show his love for the dancer. For some reason, I remember very distinctly from the movie. The song's name comes from a Shakespearean play called "Macbeth". The song's name and lyrics play a very important part in the movie. As the song name "Come What May" means no matter what happens. Which is how Satin and Christain treat their forbidden love in the movie. The lyrics express how Christian loves Satin. Expressing no matter what happens I will always love you no matter what. Which is very moving in the movie.

    Overall rewatching the movie how the song "Come What May"comes into play is very interesting. Satin finds out she does not have long to live. She doesn't tell Christain since he confesses his love for her. Which is very moving for the movie. To me though it is quite cliche with a very generic ending to a love story that has a heartbreak. The movie did a very well job on incorporating modern music for its time. Which made the movie more entertaining to watch. Plus with he tragedy makes the movie more compelling. Since it is similar to a Shakespearean play. 


Wikipedia. 20 Mar. 2010, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moulin_Rouge!

Wikipedia. 25 Mar. 2013, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_What_May_(2001_song).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Explorations in Jamaican Music

My First Post

The Innovations of Queen