My First Post

     Welcome to my first blog! This is quite exciting to start off with my first blogging experience. Where I assume I am going to mainly post about music! Firstly, I should introduce myself; my name is Coleman Baxter. My life mainly consists of sports, work, and hanging out with friends. These three activities are what best describes what I do. I have played a wide variety of sports since I was about 4 years old. The main two sports I enjoy to this day are hockey and soccer. A funny fact about me is that I have ADHD. I have always been a hyperactive kid growing up. Never could sit still when I was younger. One of the only times I was able to be calm. Was when I was either watching "Third Rock From the Sun" or watching hockey. It has stuck with me ever since. My humor consists of a lot of the comedy you would find in Third Rock From the Sun. But has adapted quite a lot from growing up. Plus I still find joy from watching the tv show! I also still play hockey to this day 17 years later. Which I still find a ton of joy in playing. Sadly though, I gave hockey to go to school instead. Since I knew I was not going anywhere with the sport. This is what brings me here today!

    Another interesting attribute I have. Is that I own an actual mini-me. My mini-me is technically my dog, his name is Jack, and we are inseparable. Except for when I have to go to work or the gym. He, sadly, cannot be by himself. He has severe separation anxiety since he got left at the pound by his old family. He has to go to his "daycare" during the day. This is just my mom's house since it tends to be the cheapest. I could go all day talking about Jack and our adventures. I'll show you guys a picture of Jack! This picture is not staged, by the way, he actually sleeps with his stuffed animal this way all the time.


    My relationship with music has been quite interesting in my life. The only instrument I really played was the drums in the fourth grade. I fell out of love with playing; since they treated it more as a class. After that point, I took the art of listening to music rather than playing it. Which I found more joy as an activity. Since cannot classify as being the best. I mainly listen to rap music. I go much deeper into music than just rap. I have a playlist on my phone with 1,420 songs. That consists of 70's rock, 80's rock, 90's rock, jazz, reggae, and R&B. There are other genres in the playlist; I just do not know what to classify them as. What I find most enjoyable about music, in general, are the instrumentals and lyrics.

     An instrumental can either make or break a song. In rap, a lot of producers use a sample in their instrumentals. They take samples out of soul and jazz music. A majority of rappers and producers grew up with this type of music. One of my favorite examples of this is an MF DOOM song. The song title is "Rhymes Like Dimes" in which he samples the saxophone solo in "One Hundred Ways" by Quincy Jones. I absolutely love how he uses such a simple loop for the instrumental. This is one of the main reasons why I love MF DOOM. He is one of the only producers I have found that does this consistently in his music. MF DOOM is not just known for his instrumentals. He is also known for his lyrics and rhyme schemes. This brings me to my second favorite part about music.

    Which are the lyrics in music. I should say in advance. Sorry for the lyrics in my music I share. They can be quite vulgar at times. I have collected multiple quotes from the lyrics in the music I listen to. That either has helped me in life or I just flat out enjoy. A good example is in the song "The Mahdi" by The Underachievers. My favorite quote from this song is "How you looking for shit to change if you ain't changing your ways." Which, at the time, I really needed to hear the words. Since it made me realize a couple characteristics about myself. I kept repeating toxic habits over and over. One of them was me waiting for things to change. Even though I was not wanting to change what I was doing for the better. It made me wonder about what music really meant to me. I think music dives deeper into everyone's lives more than we realize. Which, I hope you agree with me while you read this!


Comments

  1. Cute fur babie. My eldest dog had severe separation anxiety and tore apart the interior of several trucks in the day. She's 13 now, and has massively settled down. It helps that I have worked from home since 2006.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coleman, my name is Aksiin. I have to agree that your dog is very cute. I also turned to music to help change, or encourage me to deal with some of my bad habits. I also enjoy listening to rap, and love lyrical rap. I enjoy watching many Youtube Videos about songs I like, being broken down. I know a little of MF Doom, but not a lot sadly. I am a massive Eminem fan, so I guess I'm a Slim Shady Stan. I think he's Music To Be Murdered By Side B is a phenomenal album. But I'm also a fan of early Logic, J Cole and others. I think Logic had some funky samples for his early work, which I like listening to. I'm looking forward to your blog this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Coleman! My name is Trenton Woods! I really enjoyed the songs you suggested. I have not heard these songs before but I was interested in how these songs influenced your life for the better. Nobody is perfect but everybody can improve. I am looking forward to reading more about your blog! Thanks for sharing with us!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Explorations in Jamaican Music

The Innovations of Queen